If you’ve known me for any extended amount of time, then you know that my all time favorite band is The Beatles. One of my blogging goals for 2015 is to have a regular feature and because I’m completely random, I will be featuring a Beatles album monthly. This is exciting because it gives me a chance to relisten to these albums again. I’m not exactly reviewing it (as I am not a music reviewer) but instead enjoying it as a fan.
It’s movie time again with The Beatles! Interestingly I believe I saw this movie first before really getting into the band. It was on PBS and I remember the ski resort scenes and also the fact that it was in color. Anywho if you haven’t seen Help!, it’s a lot of fun. It’s drastically different from A Hard Day’s Night as it’s more of The Beatles in crazy locations doing crazy things (I mean Paul shrinks for goodness sakes and Ringo is about to get sacrficed) and it’s in color! But it’s still a lot of fun and it gives a good insight to what it was like during the 60s.
This is actually one of my favorite Beatles albums. Almost all the songs are ones that I can listen to over and over again. There’s such a range on here from silly love longs to things that are deeper with more feeling. You have George starting to write more and Ringo gets to do his country/western sound that he loves so much. I think this is the last album for a while that uses a cover. There are a lot of classic Beatles songs on here and they all sound really good.
What I think is most interesting is how “Yesterday” is tacked on near the end. I know that they handled packaging differently when it was originally released in the US but here with its placement it seems almost like an afterthought. Which of course is funny because it is one of the most (if not THE most) covered pop song of all time. And it’s such a lovely song too.
- Help! (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – John
- The Night Before (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – Paul
- You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – John
- I Need You (Harrison) – Lead Singer – George
- Another Girl (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer- Paul
- You’re Going to Lose That Girl (Lennon/McCartney)-Lead Singer – John
- Ticket to Ride (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer- John/Paul
- Act Naturally (Russell/Morrison) – Lead Singer – Ringo
- It’s Only Love (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – John
- You Like Me Too Much (Harrison) – Lead Singer – George
- Tell Me What You See (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – Paul/John
- I’ve Just Seen a Face (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – Paul
- Yesterday (Lennon/McCartney) – Lead Singer – Paul
- Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams) – Lead Singer – John
Standout Songs: Help!, You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, Ticket to Ride, Yesterday
Personal Favorites: It’s Only Love, Tell Me What You See, I Need You, You’re Going to Lose that Girl, I’ve Just Seen a Face
Least Memorable: You Like Me Too Much, Dizzy Miss Lizzy
As you can see I LOVE this album. And there are MANY songs that I love so much. In fact because there are so many that I love, I’m going to highlight two of them today.
“It’s Only Love” is just simple and beautiful to me.
The lyrics to “Tell Me What You See” are what I once told a guy I like. I mean seriously, open up your eyes because I’M RIGHT THERE. But whatevs.
Fun fact: the Beatles are NOT spelling Help on the cover with their arms. In fact they aren’t spelling a word at all. In fact it’s just saying NUJV.
Next Month: Rubber Soul
One thought on “Geeking About The Beatles: Help!”
Deborah,thought you might like this if you hadn’t seen it before https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=22&v=ac2eeFdkvLU